Blogroll

Tuesday, 13 September 2011

New Zealand's world championship hockey coup

New Zealand beat off competition from Malaysia and Dubai

New Zealand beat off competition from Malaysia and Dubai

By Andrew Gourdie

New Zealand has secured the hosting rights to another major sporting tournament hot on the heels of the Rugby World Cup.
Hockey's pinnacle event, the Champions Trophy, will be held in Auckland in December.
But why and how New Zealand came to host the event may come as a surprise.  
The Black Sticks were hosting and training local children this morning but in December they'll be hosting the best in the world
“[There’ll be the] reigning Olympic champion, reigning world champion, all the best teams and [it’s] great for us to pit ourselves against the best in front of a home crowd,” says Black Sticks midfielder Shae McAleese.
The Champions Trophy was due to be held in India, but last week the International Hockey Federation withdrew the hosting rights because Indian hockey was in turmoil.
“The issue is there are currently two governing bodies and a third joint committee so a clear message to sort their organisation out,” says Hockey NZ CEO Hilary Poole.
New Zealand beat off competition from Malaysia and Dubai, but the win owed much to businessman Owen Glenn.
In June, he pledged $1 million to the sport, plus $100,000 a year for three years to help develop local players.
Hockey New Zealand says his support has been beneficial to securing the tournament.
“We may have taken a little longer to say yes and it may have been a little bit harder,” says Mrs Poole.
It will be held at the North Harbour Hockey Stadium in Auckland, which holds around 5000 spectators - not quite Eden Park, but perfect for the size of the tournament.
Compared with other international sporting events the Champions Trophy is low budget, but the expected $1 million estimated boost to the economy is nothing compared to the boost it will give to hockey in New Zealand.
With the majority of the tournament funding already secured - it's a low-cost, low-risk event.
“[There will be] about 4000 people visiting and about $1 million into the local economy, new spending right around Christmas so, perfect,” says Auckland Mayor Len Brown.
And it will also serve as the perfect hit out for the Black Sticks ahead of next year's Olympics.






Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/New-Zealands-world-championship-hockey-coup/tabid/415/articleID/225650/Default.aspx#ixzz1XqeH8Yjk

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More